I’ve recently been sharing more about my “plant-mom” life. Believe it or not, incorporating plants into your home is able to improve concentration and productivity (by up to 15%), reduce stress levels, and boost your mood. To create your perfect green haven, it’s worthwhile spending a little bit of time researching the plants are best suited for each room and what kind of environment. Also, greenery adds harmony and elegance to every room. To succeed with your indoor plants, you only need to know some basics—here are my best tips to help you decorate with plants.
Tip 1: Make your plants the center of attention
Creating a wow-effect with your greenery is easier than you might think. Start by choosing the best house plants for your space: is the room filled with sunshine or do you need to select plants that need little light? Try to find plants in different sizes and shapes for an impressive décor. Now, follow these steps for a little something extra:
- Spoil your plants with new pots for an easy style makeover.
- Replant to a bigger pot if your plant is growing bigger or split it into two if possible—this way you’ll get more greenery and your plants will get more room to grow.
- Place your plants on side tables and pedestals to make sure each one is eye-catching.
Tip 2: Arrange your plants in levels
There are many beautiful ways to display your greenery. Work with levels to create an indoor garden that feels rich and spacious. This helps make a space look bigger and is perfect for smaller apartments. Use your imagination when arranging your plants or take a peek below for inspiration:
- Add hanging or climbing plants for variation.
- Group according to size: from small cactus plants to big palm plants, pair them for a decluttered feel.
- Add a few large statement plants to impress. If your room lacks natural light, add an artificial plant. It’s easy to find fake house plants that look just as good as real ones.
Tip 3: Grow new plants by taking cuttings
Show off your green thumb by taking cuttings from your favorite plants. This is a fun way to find a use for your vases and get new baby plants. When cutting, the stems should be about four inches long.
- Use small glass vases in different shapes and colors to showcase your cuttings.
- Running out of vases? No worries! Use vine glasses, small pots or empty bottles as vases for a personal touch.
- Trade cuttings with your friends or give away as gifts—a gesture that’s always appreciated.
Tip 4: Give your plants the best kind of care
Don’t forget to take care of your plants and help them live longer. There are a few easy rules to remember:
- Indoor plants need less water in winter. Make sure to check the soil before watering so you don’t over-water.
- Give your plants sunshine all year by using sheer curtains for more light.
- Use a damp rag to keep your plants clean or put the whole plant in the shower to give new life to your beloved greenery.
- During summer, bring nature home with freshly cut flowers for a lush look and lovely scent.